June 30, 2013

Butte, Mt

Welcome to Butte, the richest hill on earth, and I don't doubt it once was a beaut! Copper mining is the claim to fame and the man who made it happen lived here. It is now a bed and breakfast.


His neighbors were doing alright also I would say.


The town is full of old red brick buildings and Victorian homes on the side of the hill right next to the mines.


Lots of smaller Victorian homes seemed to be needing paint and be lived in by ne'er do wells. So many fixer uppers. I wonder when it might happen. The bank seemed to prosper well also.


I wonder if it were coincidence that the building blended with the mining area behind it.


This looks like a trailer park in the middle of town but nope, just the overnight gang at the local Walmart.


I seized the opportunity to look for my first Montana geocache thinking there might be one in the cemetery across the street. Sure enough there was which led me to an interesting spot.


I never really wondered where Evel Knieval was buried but now I know. He was born in Butte.



No comments: