June 08, 2013

Healdsburg

Another little town lay north of Rohnert Park as we headed northeast toward the coast again. For Leon's birthday I treated him to breakfast at a Costeaux's. First he had to wait on me as usual.




This little French restaurant and the entire area remind me a little of Germany and then I visited with the lady behind the pastry counter who is from Germany.


I resisted my usual "buy a sack of goodies or at least a scone to go" ritual and we were off to explore the town located on the Russian River. This seems to be a popular place to kayak and bicycle. I just have not seem many overweight people in these little towns.


There are several valleys leading from Healdsburg and the Dry Creek Valley and Alexander Valley are lined with 50 smaller wineries and wine tasting rooms.


The sheep even seem to enjoy the valley life.


In all these little wine country towns there are signs to help the many visitors find their way.


As seems true everywhere we visit in California there are beautiful flowers in plentiful supply.


Soon the adventure continued along highway 128 towards Albion and the coast. We passed what I presume to be cherry trees, stands of giant eucalyptus and a redwood grove. Along the way there were small towns with cute shops, restaurants and weekend tourists.



No comments: