June 10, 2013

Flashback along 101

In northern Mendocino County south of Garberville we were surprised to spot Confusion Hill with all the brightly painted roadside attractions that looked like something I remember from the 1950s. Well sure enough, this place was built in 1949 and includes a miniature train ride, lots of wood carvings, and several oddities including a gravity house. What a fun stop for kids. We were looking for coffee which wasn't ready yet.


And my second shoe building on this trip!


We saw many carvings and those for sale were handsomely priced.


At a stop a little further down the road we found this 2100 year old tree which was hollowed out in 1946 and made into rooms. It is 7' high and 32' long. It toured the US until 1999.


And we did not want to miss the grandfather tree next door.


It was really two trees that had grown together.


Now that Leon found coffee he was complacent while I checked out the gift shop.


On through the redwoods....

1 comment:

Barbara and Ron said...

With limited time on the McDonalds wifi, I just can't keep up with you. I'm going to same these for later. I do like all the old roadside attractions.