June 12, 2013

Loleta

Just off highway 101 between Ferndale and Eureka lies a little hamlet with a well known bakery that has lemon poppyseed scones. How can we not stop for breakfast dessert?


We also left with a loaf of homemade bread.


I had also read about the Loleta Cheese Factory just around the corner and knew I would need some bread to serve with my cheese.


I do like little towns with old buildings. Inside there were two windows where you could view the cheese making process. First the vat with the milk and then the one where curds and whey are being made. These folks sell curds which I adore - the squeakiness and taste - but I opted for the herb flavored block.




Across the street is a block long building that sits vacant. The Humboldt Cheese Factory shut down in the 90s. I can only wonder what happened with all the employees. There are only about 800 residents in the town.



No comments: