February 20, 2011

Pine Island

We drove south along the coast on my return from Siesta Key and made a jaunt over to Pine Island. I am sure glad we did. What a cute place.


Bokeelia is located at the northern end of the island, about seven miles from the entrance across Matlacha Pass. Here we found a combination of tourists and locals enjoying the waters of Charlotte Harbor.


This appears to be a local's place of residence and business with fishing boats parked alongside the dock.



And there at the end of his dock we spotted the white pelicans, the original snowbirds who come south for the winter!


As we passed this nursery we realized where folks on the mainland are obtaining their palm trees.


The southern end of the island was eight miles further but we did not venture there.  We did stop in Matlacha as we crossed the pass back to the mainland. It is one of five communities on the island, actually on it's own island in the middle of the pass,  and is an "old Florida" fishing village. There are many brightly-colored art galleries, boutiques, seafood restaurants, and traditional Florida cottages.



These three-wheeled bicycles are found in abundance in the Riverwoods Plantation where I am staying. Now here is a good use for a stationery one.


We observed a lady making these "flying fish" which I think is a cute use for a coconut! I just couldn't think where I might put one at home.


I must admit we stopped to peruse the shops and eat ice cream. We were in a little bit of a hurry as Mary had plans for dinner. I think perhaps that was a good thing, but after so many trips to the thrift shops who would want to pay a regular price?!




We returned in time for Mary to hop on her bicycle and go to her evening event which gave me time to collapse in a chair and reflect on what a fine vacation I am having.


No comments: