May 23, 2013

Hubbell Trading Post

Several miles up the road at Ganado is an old trading post that is now a national historic site. It is the oldest operating post in the Navajo Nation. Since 1898 the mercantile has sole grain, supplies, Native American art, and groceries. Hubbell family members operated the post until the National Park Service bought it in 1967. That always makes me wonder what is original and what us restored although I believe they do a good job of preserving our past.










This just makes me think back to the way things once were. I am always intrigued by the fact that my grandmother moved to New Mexico in about 1916 with her two young sons.










It was a warm and windy day and the wind blowing through the cottonwoods was also stirring up quite a bit of dust which was everywhere. Sometimes you just have to catch a little nap when you can before it is time to move on.



On to Canyon de Chelly.

No comments: