May 26, 2013

Cottonwood, Az

Sometimes you pull into a town and immediately know you will like it. It was this feeling in Cottonwood. We wandered through the old town combining window shopping and further investigation at Larry's. I soon knew if I did not leave while I was still near the front door then I might become lost in paradise.



I don't believe they were exaggerating about the two acres of antiques.


The town in the Verde valley had painted wine barrels placed around town. I always like a good theme. The Verde Valley is home to many vineyards. Originally the town was a stop-over for travelers to Oak Creek and other places as it was one of three main crossings over the Verde River. They became a supplier of fresh produce to the nearby copper town of Jerome.



We decided not to go on to Prescott but stay at the local Walmart and take the jail trail along the Verde River the next morning. What a pleasant walk among the giant cottonwoods.









The moonflowers were still blooming and added a nice touch.


The trail got its name from the fact that it began at the old jail, which had been converted to a cute tea room.



After a picnic in the park I visited the Clemenceau Heritage Museum and was quite impressed with the room that was filled with a model train depicting the old town. We soon went down the road to visit the neighboring town of Jerome.




No comments: