July 01, 2013

Gallatin National Forest

The beauty of the grassland and mountains that combine to create the valley between two mountains is inspiring. We were headed down to Red Cliff campground where I spent a couple of weeks in 2001. We stopped for propane about six miles before we got there and learned they would not open until The next day. No problem. A nice spot a few miles back north at Moose Creek Flats provided us a peaceful evening alongside the river. Yes, this is the view from my bedroom.


How nice to sit alongside the Gallatin River once again and then hear the rushing waters as I dozed off. I was not looking for the moon but watching the evening hatch.


This morning we marveled at the beauty when we drove up to Big Sky, a magnificent year around resort. Leon enjoyed seeing all the slopes and ski runs that seem to be in every direction and there is a plethora of condos for the visitors.




I find these fences that help prevent avalanches interesting.


We stopped at a favorite spot, the Blue Moon Bakery, where we spent two hours enjoying their coffee, scones, wifi, and lunch sandwiches. When I went outside I found Leon parked in the shade on the side of the road. I think a short nap had taken place.


Or perhaps he was just reading the information on the stop sign.


I made a few calls and was told that Red Cliff was open so we ventured six miles south. Well that depends on who you talk to because the road people did not agree. They thought perhaps in fifteen minutes I could drive in but we decided we might not want to listen to the road crews afterall. That is the entrance. Look open to you?


We went on down to Yellowstone. It is nice how us older folks get in for free so when there wasn't a camping spot within forty miles we went back to the Gallatin Forest and found a place at Baker's Hole. This was Baker's fishing hole on the upper Madison River which flows through the campground.


We went into West Yellowstone and spent a few hours shopping and eating ice cream. I marveled at how their garbage cans all look so attractive. By the way, they are all bearproof. And I found a fun cache at the library.


Back at the campground we settled in for the night after a light supper. The mosquitos soon came out and Leon went in.



No comments: