July 11, 2013

Bighorns again

Highway 16, the Cloud Peak Scenic Byway, crosses the Bighorns further south than 14 and is a popular route to Cody and Yellowstone. The temperature at Powder River Pass at 9,666 feet sure beats the 96 degrees in Buffalo, Wyoming (which feels like 84 at home). We drift with the weather usually but have bought tickets for the rodeo in Sheridan so this seemed like a great stop for an afternoon nap.



This is where I would hope to see Bighorn sheep if there were any in this area.


At one overlook we had a fine view of several eleven and twelve thousand foot mountains. If only the camera could capture the beauty I saw and the mosaics created by the different areas of trees below.



At one point I stopped in the road to catch a better glimpse of these antelope. Leon is really learning to ignore the scenery and look in the rear view mirror when I am driving. I appreciate his warnings of approaching cars.



I wondered what this little structure that looks like an old double car garage built out of stones in the side of the mountain was. I may never know but i envision a Basque sheep herder living here while he tends his flock.



This van also breaks for wildflowers. The forest was thick with blooming blue lupins and I enjoyed them to the fullest.



When we arrived back in Buffalo the thermometer had gone in the wrong direction but it didn't feel all that hot to me; I had a town to explore.




No comments: