October 23, 2011

Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Ga

What better place to have a rest from the hustle and bustle on Sunday afternoon. Just a twenty minute drive and we were in Savannah at the most picturesque cemetery I think I have seen. The giant live oaks draped with Spanish moss just give a certain air to the place.

The land was once a plantation but has been a cemetery since the mid 19th century.  Some of the live oaks that live on this 100 acres alongside the Wilmington River are 250 years old.


There is an abundance of ornate and large tombstones throughout the cemetery. Many visitors were here on a Sunday afternoon wandering about looking.


Many people were referencing their lists and maps that can be picked up at the administrative office but I am afraid we might have spent the entire afternoon there had we done that.

We happened across what is perhaps the best known person buried here. I wanted to break into song.




Have you guessed who it is yet?

On Confederate Drive this particular tombstone caught my eye. Perhaps because of the cast of the Civil War hat and belt.


This was another picturesque setting that I like.

No comments: