September 17, 2009

Indiana

I am attempting to find a geocache in each state we visit. Wouldn't you know as we crossed Indiana from Henderson to Louisville it was the furthest thing from my mind! But not to be denied we realized we would need to cross the Ohio one more time to accomplish the task. My niece Kelly had lived in Madison, IN last year and relayed that it was a cute old town on the banks of the Ohio, so that determined our route from Louisville. And indeed it was a marvelous stop! There are 1,500 preserved old buildings in the historic district of the town founded in 1809. It began as a supply town for westbound travelers. These northeast travelers did get a cucumber at the market.

The town grew during the steamboat days. We enjoyed a morning stroll on the riverwalk alongside the Ohio River. Hopefully that will make up for dinner at the Olive Garden last night!

We soon located a fun cache near the fountain which was drained for cleaning.I wondered why nobody had picked up the coins in the fountain. There were definitely more than three! I WAS just pretending! I DID NOT take the money!

It is obviously harvest time in this region of Kentucky. This farmer was taking his hay home.

Some fields were still full of tobacco.

This field was being harvested. I was surprised that it was being done by hand but what do I know about tobacco farming. I had just learned how corn is harvested on the previous day, but by machinery.

We saw tobacco drying in many barns. In North Carolina the barns all seem to be green but in Indiana we saw mostly black barns.


If only I could have gotten out of the van to take a decent photo of this tractor pulling a load of tobacco down a country road.


We were on a most scenic drive north from Madison but I did not realize how many 25 mph curves we would encounter. And at lunchtime we passed a flea market in Friendship! A BIG flea market! Brakes! Lunch! Shopping! A fun stop indeed. It is only held twice a year. We were surprised to find out our purchase was from a guy from Paragould, AR.

The land changed to gently rolling hills where the corn and soybeans are still a lush green, a sign we are making progress northward. We have even begun seeing Spruce trees.

We chose the backroads between and around Cincinatti, Dayton, and Columbus and located a spot for the night at Walmart in Ashland, Ohio, only 42 feet from a geocache.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Graveyards, historical homes, jumping rope, etc....
I am so glad you two haven't lost your inner child!
I love you guys!!

Trisha