September 15, 2009

Henderson, KY

I like old towns and Henderson, Kentucky seems to be just such with large old homes in the downtown area not far from the banks of the Ohio River. I was surprised to locate the house that great great grandfather Arch Dixon built in 1860 as a wedding gift for his daughter Rebecca who married John Young Brown. It has not been as well maintained as many of the older homes.

A nice park on the banks of the Ohio River was the beginning point for a morning walk though the historical district.

We spent a bit of time at Fernwood Cemetery when I slipped into genealogy mode. At first Leon thought that was better than geocaching mode but he soon learned otherwise.


The Audubon museum at the state park had a nice display of Audubon memorabilia and includes 435 original prints from the 1839 folio edition of "The Birds of America."

John James Audubon lived in Henderson for nine years and the sculptures throughout town make one well aware of that.


Walmart was our campground of choice for the two nights we spent in Henderson. I tried to visit my aunt in the nursing home but her caregiver wouldn't allow it unless ok'd by my cousins and I could not get in touch with them. I guess that is what you call being in guarded condition.

I did have a delightful visit and with my new friend Martha who lives in Henderson. We have a common great great great grandfather, Wynn Dixon, and many similar interests. Afterwards we continued north and east.

No comments: