March 11, 2010

Silly Mountain

We are settled in at the Moose Lodge in Apache Junction, Arizona, east of Phoenix, soaking up the sunshine. My computer was not happy about the fall from the dash and quit operating. Well, actually it operated, I just could not see anything. So now with my new computer in lap I can continue sharing our fun experiences while sitting in front of Subway. Not far east from us is Silly Mountain Park at the base of Silly Mountain.


 After a picnic lunch we ascended the trails. We had not gone far when I stopped for a quick geocache.


We then zigzagged along the rocky trail ascending the peaks. In the distance lies Superstition Mountain and Apache Junction.


When we got to huff and puff trail we did.



We were pleased to reach the peak. It really wasn't all that steep. Lots of switchbacks. And I had to stop a lot to watch the quail on the hillside. Superstition Mountain is in the far background.


We stopped to observe the small flowers blooming. In about two weeks the hillsides should have an abundance of color.


We met lots of folks out enjoying the trails on the sixty something sunny day. There are geocaches all over the hills but I decided we should focus on the trails we were on. It was at times a little steep and one does not reach out and grab a tree as you descend the hillside like I am somewhat used to doing.


The poppies are just beginning to bloom.


Why does Leon appear to be waiting you might ask? Because I keep finding little flowers to study!



On the way back “home” we passed this most unusual palm tree, unlike the other palms we are seeing in the area.

Thanks to Barbara and her blog for letting us know about this Silly Mountain!

1 comment:

Kay said...

The palm looks like one of our local "pine" trees!