October 02, 2009

Genealogy AGAIN!!

Maine was a good bit warmer than the mountains of New Hampshire. The drive over was lovely. The trees looked like jello flavors sometimes and sherbet flavors at others, but always plenty of color.

I took us down a backroad to Belgrade, Maine to revisit the cemetery find that got me hooked on genealogy about ten years ago.

Old Eleazer was right where I left him ten years ago along with his wife Mary.


This time I had enough sense to visit the Burbank farm next door where the ggggrandparents had lived. The girl living there was quite friendly and showed me the old mantel she had removed with the date 1836 written on the back.


She explained that the barn is of Quaker construction. Eleazer Burbank and his wife Mary had come to Belgrade about 1800 from Westbrook, Massachusetts. He owned 180 acres here and donated land for the church, which was later moved and then burned, and the cemetery. I could only wonder who piled all the rocks around the perimeter of the property.

No comments: